Friday, May 15, 2009

FLAPPING BAT CRANK TOY


This bat was carved from mahogany. After I made his head/body section I had no idea what to do with him, and he sat for a few months. I came up with some fairly involved ideas but eventually settled on this.
His wings were so thin I couldn't think of a good way to attach the hinges. There wasn't enough wood to firmly hold screws, and the wings were curved so the hinges wouldn't lay flat on the surfaces. The only thing I could come up with was to take an Exacto knife and slice out a sliver at a time into the edge of the wing and slide the hinge inside. The wing was paper thin and a little flexy on either side of the slot, but once the hinge was in place there was no problem. Then I put dowels in the wings to pass through the hinge screw holes.
This is how the contraption works. As the wheel turns it raises and lowers the bat's support dowel. Copper wire holds the wings near the hinges. The spot the wings are held becomes an axis as the body moves up and down. 

I had to do a lot of measuring to get the wires the right length. The 1st attempts went badly because the wires were either too long or too short causing everything to lock up. It's surprising how much difference even an 1/8 of an inch will make.
Here's a video of what he looks like in action.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails