Thursday, January 21, 2010

BAT CAUGHT IN THE ACT

CLICK TO SEE HALF-TONE DOT DETAIL
I was wanting to make a horrorific comic-style bat, but instead of looking horrifying, he looks more like he's just been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. I liked that better anyway.

I made up a philosophy for pictures like this:
When in doubt
Black it out.

This method probably works best with "scary" pictures. I tried a few things on his fingers, like hair and tendons and veins, and nothing looked all that good. I colored it in black and then it worked better. This way the texture and dimension of his hand is created in the viewer's mind. That way it's as perfect as it can be. More black would have been even better, and I know this is a bad reason, but I didn't want to use up my ink pen on this practice doodle drawing.

There wasn't enough paper so his hand couldn't open up like it needed to (see below.)
Later (in the picture above) I opened it up a bit more.


6 comments:

  1. KW: this is so cool. I love the huge, oval mouth and the shiny globular eyes! the blacks, really, really work here. -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeeet!
    Love those eyes, and the extra lovin' you gave to those ears make it extra cool.
    I wouldn't want to suprise one of these in a dark alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool one!

    The blacks in a design i think are what sometimes makes or breaks an illo.

    It's amazing how they can make a character pop, or add drama that wasn't there in the initial sketch.

    It's like icing on the cake.......black icing!!

    BLACK ICING!!

    Now there is a name for a character. Must remember that one!! What would THAT character look like....hmmmm? Gives me an idea...

    Anyroad..love this one..your stuff has such a feel for the kind of drawings and design that influenced me as a kid in the '60s.

    .....visiting here is such an inspiration and joy.

    Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome, i love it! it looks like a page right from a tales from the crypt comic!
    can you shoot me an email telling me how you got that halftone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the purple of batty wasn't cool enough (and it is) the greenish tinge of the moon coupled with the translucent eyes of our mammal knocks it out of the park. I love this little guy.. maybe you could have him do a cross-over with Blood Count? :)
    best,
    r/e

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks R/E! Maybe he IS the Blood Count! Who can know for sure?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails